MAY 14 – 21, 2021 | DOLCE BAIA YOGA RETREAT in TUSCANY with LAUREL GOEKE
Sweetbay Yoga presents an intimate retreat at Il Borghino in Lucca, Tuscany. Join us for a week like no other: yoga, friends, cooking, wine, small group excursions, day trip to Cinque Terre coastal towns…. Need we say more?
Our retreat home for the week will be Il Borghino – which boasts comfortable lodging in four beautifully-renovated buildings, an outdoor salt-water pool, and delicious meals of farm-to-table vegetarian Tuscan cuisine — complete with local olive oil and wine. We have access to a fully-equipped yoga studio, as well as multiple outdoor spaces should we prefer to practice overlooking the valley below.
Twice daily yoga sessions will be practiced outside by the pool, in the shala among the vineyards or in the indoor yoga studio. There is nothing quite like Sunrise & Sunset sessions where you can fully savor the serenity of the Tuscan countryside.
The Optional Activities
Below are a few trips and activities available if you should wish to venture out and explore the incredible surroundings or stay in and work on your Italian skills and your well-being!
- a bike and walking tour of Lucca with a local guide;informative fun!
- wine tasting excursion: a scenic 3 km walk to a beautiful local winery followed by an interesting tour and tasting
- Puccini Opera in Lucca; for the opera lovers, this is a 1 hour taste of Puccini in stunning surroundings
- Visit to a thermal spa; bathe in healing waters, enjoy Turkish steam rooms and sauna. Leave feeling completely relaxed
- Cooking class – learn from the best with Maria Angela, the most wonderful local cook who dishes up all our meals during the retreat
- Massages and spa treatments; you are most definitely in for a treat with some really incredible local therapist who will be on hand throughout the retreat to offer various treatments.
About Laurel Goeke
Founder of Sweetbay Yoga.
Laurel (CIYT) has been teaching in the Bethesda area since 2005, and also leads retreats both locally and internationally. October 2019 in Innsbruck, Austria; May 2020 in Lucca, Italy; and a local Family Retreatin West Virginia, also in May 2020. Throughout many moves, marriage, motherhood and life itself, the practice of yoga has been her one constant. In her teaching, Laurel hopes to both challenge and empower her students, not only physically but on the journey inward. She finds being present with others in these moments deeply sustaining.
Certified Iyengar teacher
Apprenticeship with John Schumacher
Training/ certification (Holland & India)
BA Wells College, Aurora NY
MA London School of Economics
More details about Laurel on www.sweetbayyoga.com
- Twice daily yoga sessions every day including use of yoga mats, blocks, blankets, belts, and bolsters, plus additional yoga mats for use outdoors
- 7 nights’ accommodation at villa, linens and towels
- 3 delicious vegetarian meals daily (minus one lunch and one dinner when we head out to explore)
- Fresh detox fruit / vegetable juice at breakfast
- Local wine at dinner (1/2 bottle per person, per night)
- Unlimited fruit, water, and herbal tea throughout the day.
- Transfer from/to Lucca to/from the retreat centre on the day of arrival and departure (one scheduled pick-up and drop-off only). Transfers outside of the scheduled pick-up and drop off are not included.
- Outdoor salt-water pool and large communal areas
- Steam room / sauna (first session complimentary, thereafter €70 per session)
- Pool Towels, Hair dryers and use of laundry facilities
- Free Wi-fi
- Tourist tax
What’s Not Included?
- Airfare from/to your home city
- Travel insurance
- Ground transportation outside the scheduled pick-up on arrival day and drop-off on departure day *
- One lunch and one dinner out when we are out out on excursions.
- Any other additional meals you choose to have outside the retreat centre.
- Massages and Optional activities other than those specified as included in the retreat price
- Other travel-related expenses
* Transfers outside the scheduled pick-up or drop-off can be arranged for an additional fee
Retreat Prices, per person
Room Type 1 – Twin room + shared hallway bathroom. twin beds / 2 people per room $$$$ (USD) per person
Room Type 2 – Twin Room + Private bathroom. twin beds / 2 people per room. $$$$ (USD) per person
Room Type 3 – Twin Room + Private Bathroom. double bed / 2 people per room. $$$$ (USD) per person
Room Type 4 – Single Room + Private Bathroom. single bed / 1 person per room. $$$$ (USD) per person
Terms and Conditions
Initial Deposit of $$$$ USD due on booking to confirm your room*
Remaining Balance due by 28th February 2020.
Spaces are very limited and accommodation will be assigned on a first come, first served basis.
For more information, click on the button “Reserve Your Place”.
Transport Options – Getting to and From Il Borghino
- The nearest airport to Lucca is Pisa international Airport “Galileo Galileo” – 18 Miles from Lucca
- Florence International Airport “Amerigo Vespucci” is 50 Miles from Lucca
- If you are flying into Rome, Fiumicino Airport is 162 miles from Lucca.
- Regular trains and buses run from both Pisa and Florence airports to Lucca and are very reasonably priced. Trains also run regularly from Rome airport but the trip is much longer and takes around 4.5 hours.
Check-in and Check-out
- Check-in at Il Borghino is strictly 4pm on the day of arrival.
- When booking your flights, we recommend you plan your arrival time in Lucca for around 15:30pm, to coincide with the group transfer to Il Borghino at 3:45pm. There will be one scheduled pick-up only. Please email your arrival details to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as they are available. If you are unable to make the pick-up, we can arrange for a taxi to bring you to Il Borghino.
- Check-out at Il Borghino is strictly 09:30am on the last day. Please plan your departure flights accordingly.