JUNE 2 – 9, 2018 | YOGA UNDER THE TUSCAN SUN with SHEILA MCVAY
Experience “la dolce vita” in the beautiful Tuscan Hills…a destination that conjures dreams of extraordinary art and culture, quaint villages, sumptuous food, tasty wine, idyllic landscapes and so much more.
Join Sheila McVay for a week of Yoga in Italy. Soak up the sun, unplug from your hectic daily life and reconnect to your heart as you participate in daily yoga and meditation practice, explore the local village of Lucca, walk down the road for a wine tasting, wander through the picturesque Cinque Terre, dine on fresh wholesome food, spoil yourself with a massage, and make new friends.
Our retreat home for the week will be Il Borghino – which boasts comfortable lodging in four beautifully-renovated buildings, an outdoor salt-water pool, and delicious meals of farm-to-table vegetarian Tuscan cuisine — complete with local olive oil and wine. We have access to a fully-equipped yoga studio, as well as multiple outdoor spaces should we prefer to practice overlooking the valley below.
Optional Excursions and Activities
During your retreat week, there are so many optional activities to do so – you can choose be as relaxed or as active as you desire. Examples of things to do include:
- A fabulous Day trip to Cinque Terre – this is a full day trip to explore the five breath taking coastal villages embedded in rocky cliffs along one of Italy’s most scenic stretches of Liguria. For those who are hikers, it is possible to spend a day walking and climbing between these beautiful villages and enjoy some spectacular scenery along the way. For others, you can still enjoy walking the more gentle trails, spend time swimming, exploring the villages or sampling some of the local delights.
- Tuscan wine tasting excursion to a local bio-dynamic winery. We go by foot along the “Strada del Vino” (the wine road) and after a tour of the winery and gardens, we settle in to taste some excellent wines. The estate also produces olive oil, honey and pasta. The scenery is beautiful, overlooking vineyards and olive groves.
- There are also other choices of optional activities and excursions, designed to give you a taste of Tuscany and the local culture, without it feeling like a organized tour. For example, enjoy a walking/biking tour of the enchanting village of Lucca, an afternoon soaking up the healing waters in a thermal spa, an evening in the thriving artist village of Pietrasanta, a relaxing massage or spa treatment or a cooking class with our very own cook!
About Sheila McVay
Sheila McVay is a certified Kripalu 500 ERYT and the owner of Johns Creek Yoga in Georgia, USA. She has been teaching in one way or another for over 20 years, first as a literature professor, then as a yogi. Along with maintaining a regular class schedule, she leads retreats locally and internationally and leads teacher training at both the 200 and 500 hour level. She is passionate about all that she does and feels blessed beyond measure to share the powerful and ancient practice of yoga with others.
Sheila began practicing yoga in 2000 with the idea that the postures would help stretch the muscles that were contracting as she trained for a half-marathon. What she discovered is that yoga stretched her mind and soul as much as it did her muscles.
She completed her 200 hour teacher training at Peachtree Yoga Center in Sandy Springs, and she completed her 500 hour training at the Kripalu Center in Massachusettes. She has trained with many incredible teachers, and she is honored to carry forth the wisdom and guidance that she received from them. She continues to take advantage of every opportunity to train and learn and will forever consider herself a student of this beautiful and ancient practice.
Sheila’s classes are focused on alignment and infused with spirit and soulful exploration of the body, but they are also light-hearted and fun. She relishes the playfulness of the practice and encourages her students to be fearless and attempt new things in a safe and supported atmosphere. As a former Professor of American literature, Sheila loves to explore the connections between philosophy, poetry, religion and yoga, often building class around a specific theme or ending with a favorite poem or quotation.
More details about Sheila on www.johnscreekyoga.com
- Daily Yoga Practices + Meditation with Sheila
- 7 nights’ accommodation at villa, linens and towels
- 3 delicious vegetarian meals daily, except for one lunch out on Wednesday and one dinner out on a day to be decided. On these days, guests are free to explore on their own, choosing optional excursions or a night out in Lucca.
- Fresh detox fruit / vegetable juice at breakfast
- Local wine at dinner (1/2 bottle per person, per night)
- Unlimited fruit, water, and herbal tea throughout the day.
- Transfer from/to Lucca to/from the retreat centre on the day of arrival and departure (one scheduled pick-up and drop-off only). transfers outside of the scheduled pick-up and drop off are not included.
- Daily yoga practice and use of yoga room, yoga mats, blocks, blankets, belts, and bolsters, plus additional yoga mats for use outdoors
- Outdoor salt-water pool and large communal areas
- Steam room / sauna (first session free, thereafter €70 per session)
- Pool Towels, Hair dryers and use of laundry facilities
- Free Wi-fi
- Tourist tax
What’s Not Included?
- Airfare from/to your home city
- Travel insurance
- Ground transportation outside the scheduled pick-up on arrival day and drop-off on departure day *
- One lunch, one dinner, and any other additional meals
- Optional activities other than those specified as included in the retreat price
- Other travel-related expenses
* Transfers outside the scheduled pick-up or drop-off can be arranged for an additional fee
Retreat Prices, per person
Room Type 1 – Twin Room/ Shared Bath (2 beds which can be converted to one king sharing bathroom with another twin room). $1850 (USD) per person
Room Type 2 – Twin Room/ Private Bath ( 2 twin beds which can be converted to one king) $2050 (USD) per person
Room Type 3 – Double Room/ Private Bath (1 double bed). $2050 (USD) per person
(Above prices assume double occupancy. Add $500 to any of the above for single occupancy)
Room Type 4 – Double Room/ Private Bath (1 double bed). $2250 (USD) per person
Terms and Conditions
A NONREFUNDABLE $500 USD Deposit will secure your spot with the balance due by April 1, 2018.
For details, contact email@example.com
Transport Options – Getting to and From Il Borghino
- The nearest airport to Lucca is Pisa international Airport “Galileo Galileo” – 18 Miles from Lucca
- Florence International Airport “Amerigo Vespucci” is 50 Miles from Lucca
- If you are flying into Rome, Fiumicino Airport is 162 miles from Lucca.
- Regular trains and buses run from both Pisa and Florence airports to Lucca and are very reasonably priced. Trains also run regularly from Rome airport but the trip is much longer and takes around 4.5 hours.
Check-in and Check-out
- Check-in at Il Borghino is strictly 4pm on the day of arrival.
- When booking your flights, we recommend you plan your arrival time in Lucca for around 15:30pm, to coincide with the group transfer to Il Borghino at 3:45pm. There will be one scheduled pick-up only. Please email your arrival details to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as they are available. If you are unable to make the pick-up, we can arrange for a taxi to bring you to Il Borghino.
- Check-out at Il Borghino is strictly 09:30am on the last day. Please plan your departure flights accordingly.