SEPT 29 – OCT 6, 2018 | LA DOLCE VITA TUSCANY YOGA RETREAT with JEN MITCHELL + CLAIRE STETINA
Retreat to Tuscany! Join Twist Yoga for a week of unforgettable food, transformational yoga, delightful connection and living the good life in the Tuscan countryside.
Your yoga retreat includes 3 daily yoga practices and organic meals prepared by our personal chef and enjoyed around a traditional family-style table. Our days might find us exploring neighboring villages, visiting a centuries-old winery or simply resting, anticipating the authentic Tuscan dinner we’ll enjoy among your new friends.
We will begin each day with meditation, followed by an all levels morning practice and conclude most days with gentle yoga practices.
There will be plenty of free time to relax by the pool at our restored 17th century villa, enjoy an optional massage or participate in one of the many optional activities. You’ll have the option to explore the local region through optional walks, bike rides and day trips to experience the beauty of this ancient region and its rich culinary heritage. Meals made from the freshest of local ingredients will be prepared for us by our personal chef Maria Angela and you even have the opportunity to partake in a cooking class with her and learn some of her secrets!
After a week of nourishing your spirit with your friends at Twist Yoga, we think you’ll return home feeling rel;axed, refreshed and re-energized.
Our retreat home for the week will be Il Borghino – which boasts comfortable lodging in four beautifully-renovated buildings, an outdoor salt-water pool, and delicious meals of farm-to-table vegetarian Tuscan cuisine — complete with local olive oil and wine. We have access to a fully-equipped yoga studio, as well as multiple outdoor spaces should we prefer to practice overlooking the valley below.
Sample Schedule (subject to change):
Day 1: Ciao! Retreat begins at 4pm. Late afternoon gentle yoga, welcome dinner
Day 2: Morning yoga, optional* bike ride through Tuscan countryside and/or a stop in Lucca. Afternoon gentle yoga.
Day 3: Morning yoga. Afternoon walk to nearby vineyard, including wine tasting & private vinyard tour. Evening gentle yoga.
Day 4: Morning yoga. Free day.
Day 5: Morning yoga. Optional* all day excursion to Cinque Terre. Late dinner at the villa.
Day 6: Morning yoga. Free day. Optional* evening excursion into Lucca to experience 1 hour of Puccini opera (the birthplace of this great composer).
Day 7: Morning yoga. Optional* excursion to local hot springs. Evening gentle yoga. final evening dinner party
Day 8: Morning Yoga, breakfast and arrivederci at 10am!
There is a great choice of optional activities and excursions, designed to give you a taste of Tuscany and the local culture, without it feeling like a organized tour. You can sign up for them when you arrive at the retreat center. There are also some amazing in-house massage therapists who will be available throughout the week to iron out tired or stressed muscles and leave you feeling completely relaxed and rejuvenated!
About Jen Mitchell
Jen began practicing yoga in 1997 at the age of 27, with the goal to be able to touch her toes…. for the first time in her adult life. From those humble beginnings, Jen’s yoga practice has been transformational in her life and has provided tools for contemplation & the elimination of self-limiting, habitual and unconscicous beliefs.
Jen teaches with humor and humility, weaving life’s gifts and challenges into classes… ultimately so we may live a sweeter life off the mat. Jen’s classes are a unique mix of traditional hatha/vinyasa postures and Kundalini kriya. Depending on the day, students in her classes might also experience japa mantra, meditation, pranayama and/or kriya in addition to asana. As an instructor, she invites individual exploration of the body, breath and mind as she believes that each student is their own best teacher.
Training + Experience
Jen counts among her influences, her daughter Claire, and in the late ’90s, Shiva Rea and NYC’s Om Yoga. Since then, her teaching (and practice) has evolved by encounters chanting with Jai Uttal at Kirtan Camp , exploring loving kindness with Stephen Cope at Kripalu in Massachusetts, as well as drop ins with local teachers at various Seattle studios. Jen is further influenced by regular stops at Jivamukti Yoga in NYC, annual visits to India, (starting with studying Ashtanga with MatyEzraty in 2012 and most recently, studying Kundalini Yoga with Kia Miller & Tommy Rosen in Rishikesh in 2017) and Judith Hanson Lasater, with whom she studied with over 150 hours, including Level I and II Restorative Techniques, semi-private intensives and Non Violent Communication.
More details about Jen on www.twistyogaedmonds.com
- 2 Daily Yoga Classes with Jen, including yoga mats, blocks, blankets, belts, and bolsters, plus additional yoga mats for use outdoors
- 7 nights’ accommodation at villa, linens and towels
- 3 delicious vegetarian meals daily, except for one lunch out on Wednesday and one dinner out on a day to be decided. On these days, guests are free to explore on their own, choosing optional excursions or a night out in Lucca.
- Historic, local vineyard tour and wine tasting
- Fresh detox fruit / vegetable juice at breakfast
- Local wine at dinner (1/2 bottle per person, per night)
- Unlimited fruit, water, and herbal tea throughout the day.
- Transfer from/to Lucca to/from the retreat centre on the day of arrival and departure (one scheduled pick-up and drop-off only).
- Outdoor salt-water pool and large communal living areas
- Use of the steam room / sauna (first session free, thereafter €70 per session)
- Pool Towels, Hair dryers and use of laundry facilities
- Free Wi-fi
- Tourist tax
What’s Not Included?
- Airfare from/to your home city
- Travel insurance
- Ground transportation outside the scheduled pick-up on arrival day and drop-off on departure day *
- One lunch and one dinner out
- Optional activities other than those specified as included in the retreat price
- Other travel-related expenses and incidentals
- Tips + Gratuities
* Transfers outside the scheduled pick-up or drop-off can be arranged for an additional fee
Transport Options – Getting to and From Il Borghino
- The nearest airport to Lucca is Pisa international Airport “Galileo Galileo” – 18 Miles from Lucca
- Florence International Airport “Amerigo Vespucci” is 50 Miles from Lucca
- If you are flying into Rome, Fiumicino Airport is 162 miles from Lucca.
- Regular trains and buses run from both Pisa and Florence airports to Lucca and are very reasonably priced. Trains also run regularly from Rome airport but the trip is much longer and takes around 4.5 hours.
Check-in and Check-out
- Check-in at Il Borghino is strictly 4pm on the day of arrival.
- When booking your flights, we recommend you plan your arrival time in Lucca for around 15:30pm, to coincide with the group transfer to Il Borghino at 3:45pm. There will be one scheduled pick-up only. Please email your arrival details to email@example.com as soon as they are available. If you are unable to make the pick-up, we can arrange for a taxi to bring you to Il Borghino.
- Check-out at Il Borghino is strictly 09:30am on the last day. Please plan your departure flights accordingly.